Viajes El Corte Inglés Boosts Digital Sales by 40% Through Mobile Integration
Cost per qualified contact
Increase in sales
As the leading travel agency in Spain, Viajes El Corte Inglés facilitates online booking of the most in-demand travel products, such as airplane tickets, train tickets, hotel reservations, car rentals, trips to Disneyland Paris, Port Aventura, getaways, and more. However, where Viajes El Corte Inglés truly excels is in the cruise travel sector, where it holds a leadership position. These advantages, coupled with a commitment to always offering the best guaranteed price, have helped solidify Viajes El Corte Inglés’s standing in the cruise market.
The goal was to capitalize on the traffic generated on mobile devices to bolster their online sales strategy and continue growing in a competitive environment.
Viajes El Corte Inglés uses the online channel to contact customers interested in cruises, but it sought to take full advantage of the change in consumer behavior and their use of mobile phones to enhance their online sales strategy for a medium-high ticket product such as cruises.
A 2-week pilot project was carried out based on a “turnkey” model, with external partners specialized in Contact Generation.
In collaboration with Google, Vacolba, and Making Science, the project was articulated in several phases:
- To generate potential customers, a landing page dedicated to Cruises was created and a campaign was launched on Google AdWords to meet the demand for this product on mobile devices.
- For reception and telephone sales, a Contact Center unit was enabled that handled the reception and classification of calls for subsequent distribution to the corresponding department and closure of the sale.
“Viajes El Corte Inglés aims to strengthen its contact forms with potential customers through new technologies, personalizing its speech and satisfying the high-quality expectation carved out over the years while continuing to grow in a very competitive environment”
— Laura Pérez, Senior Director Distance Sales Division
When comparing the 2-week pilot project with the purely online model, the following results were obtained:
- The ratio between the initial customer contact and the delivery of a quote increased by 80 times.
- The cost per qualified contact was reduced by 49%.
Next Steps & Conculsions
Following the positive results, Viajes El Corte Inglés is integrating telephone sales into its digital channel, applying the following learnings:
- User auto-segmentation upon arriving at the landing page to offer personalized service.
- The use of specific product microsites.
- Assisted sales allow Viajes El Corte Inglés to accompany, advise, and guide the customer throughout the entire purchasing process.
- Adopt new technologies that allow exhaustive monitoring throughout the chain of generation and transformation of new business, reducing acquisition costs.
- Optimize the Call Center by adapting its operation to changes in consumer behavior.