Google Next ’23, the annual event that brings together tech enthusiasts, industry leaders, and innovators, was a remarkable showcase of Google’s commitment to revolutionizing technology across Google Cloud’s extensive portfolio spanning Infrastructure, Data and AI, Workspace Collaboration, and Cybersecurity solutions.
Given our longstanding relationship as a Google Cloud Premier Partner, the Making Science team attended the event to get a first glance at the main innovations and gain insights that will shape the future of our work and value to our customers.
At the heart of the event, one theme was the main character approaching the future of technology: Artificial Intelligence. The event unfolded as a dynamic showcase of AI’s transformative power across industries and its pivotal role in shaping the future of technology.
In this Blog Post, we dive into the different dimensions of AI that took center stage at Google Next ’23.
Google Cloud is committed to providing cutting-edge AI-optimized infrastructure that empowers businesses to train and deploy AI models efficiently. This infrastructure is available across Google’s global cloud regions, on customer premises through Google Distributed Cloud, and at the edge. Notably, over 70% of “gen AI unicorns” are Google Cloud customers, emphasizing the platform’s dominance in this transformative field. Key infrastructure advancements announced at the event include:
- Cloud TPU v5e: This state-of-the-art AI accelerator platform is cost-efficient, versatile, and scalable. It enables customers to perform large-scale AI training and inference on a single platform, offering significant improvements in training and inference performance per dollar compared to its predecessor.
- A3 VMs with NVIDIA H100 GPU: Powered by NVIDIA’s H100 GPU, these virtual machines offer superior performance, high-speed networking, and advancements to support demanding gen AI and large language model (LLM) applications.
- GKE Enterprise: Enabling multi-cluster horizontal scaling, GKE Enterprise enhances productivity while reducing software deployment times, catering to mission-critical AI and ML workloads.
- Cross-Cloud Network: This global networking platform simplifies application connectivity and security across multiple cloud environments, offering reduced network latency and improved accessibility to Google services.
- Google Distributed Cloud: Designed for organizations running workloads at the edge or in their data centers. Google Distributed Cloud is being enhanced to bring AI capabilities to the edge.
Vertex AI: Building, Deploying, and Scaling ML Models
Vertex AI is Google Cloud’s comprehensive AI platform, empowering customers to build, deploy, and scale machine learning (ML) models effectively. The platform’s usage has grown substantially, with the number of gen AI customer projects surging over 150 times quickly. Main updates on this platform include:
- Vertex AI Search and Conversation: These tools enable organizations to quickly create Search and Chat applications using their data, with minimal coding and robust enterprise-grade management and security features.
- New Models and Tooling: Updates to PaLM 2 for processing large documents efficiently, extended support for new languages available in Codey, and increased capabilities for Imagen regarding visual appeal and new tuning methods to create images aligned to specific requirements with a few references.
- Vertex AI Extensions: Developers can now access, build, and manage extensions that provide real-time information and actions, enabling gen AI applications to interact with enterprise systems and third-party platforms.
- Digital Watermarking: Leveraging Google DeepMind SynthID technology, digital watermarking is now available for AI-generated images, offering scalability and security in image generation.
- Colab Enterprise: A service for Data Scientists to accelerate AI workflows, access the whole Vertex AI platform, integrate with BigQuery and benefit from code completion and advanced generation features.
If you’re a cloud or data expert, we encourage you to learn more about these new features and capabilities so you can start using them to build and deploy innovative solutions.
These are just a few of the many announcements made at Google Cloud Next 2023. Stay in touch for an upcoming post on how AI is shaping Cloud, Data and Security.